4 Best Mechanical Keyboards That Help Eliminate RSI Pain
If you buy something using the retail links in our articles, sometimes we earn a small affiliate commission. This does not impact the products we recommend.
First described as a condition suffered by musicians and clerks in the 1700s, RSI is nothing new but has certainly become prevalent with the use of keyboards for work.
Without treatment, the symptoms of repetitive strain injury may eventually become chronic and cause long periods of pain.
Unfortunately, the way of the world is that for most of us who work from a computer, work duties cannot simply stop entirely or be ignored just because of a little bit of RSI pain.
The good news is that it may be possible to modify your typing habits to improve your symptoms, including adopting one of these mechanical keyboards that are best suited for typing, and surviving, with RSI.
Best mechanical keyboards for repetitive strain injury (RSI)
Our Pick – X9 Performance Wired Ergonomic Keyboard with Wrist Rest
- (Feel Better, Work Better): Long hours on the computer can be tough, however, we have a solution. With a user focused design, our ergonomic split keyboard will help you conquer your workload with less wrist discomfort.
- (Type Comfortably With A Cushioned Wrist Rest): The integrated cushion on the wired computer keyboard provides much needed support when typing. Your hand will be level with the keys for better comfort and efficiency.
- (Split Ergonomic Design | Natural Positioning): Unlike a traditional laptop keyboard that causes your hands to type in an awkward position, our wave keyboard promotes a natural hand position for less strain and fatigue.
- (Work Efficiently): The full-sized 110 key layout with 17 shortcuts and a numeric keypad will help you increase productivity. Also, the wired pc keyboard has LED indicators, an adjustable kickstand, and is plug and play.
- (What You Will Receive): Your satisfaction is valued tremendously. Therefore, along with our wired keyboard ergonomic, you will also receive lifetime support, a 2-year warranty, and free returns.
Because RSI can develop in a number of locations in the hands, wrists and arms the best keyboards to remedy this pain are those designed to allow hands to operate in a natural position.
The X9 certainly does this by splitting the keys across a board in a wave design which allows forearms and hands to experience minimal awkward movements.
The X9 doesn’t just sell itself on form alone however, with good quality keys and stabilisers reducing the force needed to press each individual keystroke.
In addition to having the most sympathetic design to RSI suffers, the X9 also gains bonus points and overall best pick by not charging a premium price for solving a problem that could easily aim for a higher price point.
|A split wave design keyboard helps minimise unnatural wrist movements|
|An in built cushion wrist rest that doesn’t look like an afterthought|
|17 shortcut keys to minimise key presses on frequent tasks|
|2 year warranty to back up confidence in build quality|
|We Don’t Like|
|It’s wired, however the 5ft long cable does allow a good amount of freedom to position it as you wish|
Budget Pick – Perixx Periboard 512 Ergonomic Split Keyboard
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Split-key and 3-D design matches with to your natural arm and hand positions Integrated palm rest to support your wrists in a comfort position
- TACTILE KEYSTROKES - Keystrokes are tactile in order to reduce pressure when you press the keys and to give you a more comfortable typing experience
- PLUG AND PLAY FEATURE - Just plug your keyboard in your computer and use it It uses a USB interface and has 6 0 Ft cable 7 Multimedia Hot keys built-in
- NEW WAY OF TYPING - The ergonomic split keyboard is different from the traditional desktop keyboard and it will take you a few days or weeks to get familiar with it
- SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - Windows 7, 8, 10 and 11; Wired USB connection via USB 2 0 Package includes 1x PERIBOARD-512
Perixx are known for their dedication to ergonomically friendly designs. The much applauded 512 has been a top pick for those struggling with RSI for many years.
Incorporating a split design and wrist rest without sacrificing a number pad is impressive. Add into the mix that programmable multi-media keys have also been included and for the low price point there’s little better on the market.
Oh, and the quality of the switches ain’t half bad either!
If you are a devout Perixx fan there’s also a wireless version, and a white version of the 512 available for a few bucks more.
|Combined split design and full length wrist rest|
|As an older model (latest Periboard 612 below) the price had been slashed|
|Available in black or white designs, with wireless connectivity also an option|
|We Don’t Like|
|The directional keys are in an unusual position, are small and the up/down keys are separated|
Also Great – Logitech G613 Lightspeed Wireless Mechanical Keyboard
- Lightspeed: Wireless technology for super-fast 1 ms report rate
- Romer G mechanical switches deliver quiet, precise mechanical performance and 70 million click life for incredible feel and durability
- 6 programmable G keys put custom macro sequences and in app commands at your fingertips. 1 Customize G key profiles individually for each app
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth enabled device with Windows 8 or later, Mac OS X 10.12 or later, Chrome OS, or Android 3.2 or later, iOS 10 or later
- G613 delivers up to 18 months of gaming on 2 x AA batteries. System requirements: Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X 10.10 or later, Chrome OS, Android 3.2 or later, USB port
We’re a big fan of the Logitech G613 and named it our pick for the overall best keyboard for those suffering from the pain and discomfort brought on by carpal tunnel syndrome.
Firstly the raised mechanical keys have a smoother travel, and a less resistance than keys found on a common membrane keyboard. This means you don’t have to move your fingers as far, nor press down as hard to register a keystroke. Overall this puts less wear and tear on your wrists.
Six programmable ‘G-Keys’ allow multi-stage tasks to be programmed for completion with just single press of a button saving you time and wrist movements every day. With a little planning you can use this feature to effortlessly complete tasks that might otherwise require typing, scrolling and mouse movements.
The G613 is wireless thanks to Bluetooth pairing capabilities, Being unrestricted by wires means the it can be moved to your ideal positioning without any compromisation.
Unlike many other keyboard designed with gaming in mind, the switches beneath the G613 keys are deliberately quiet rather than clicky. Being tactile, you’ll still be able to feel the moment the key stroke registers, but you won’t have to worry about creating a nuisance at home or in the office.
|The use of high quality Romer G switches|
|A sleek looking full length wrist rest|
|G-keys reduce the number of key presses needed for frequent tasks|
|Cross over ability between working and gaming|
|We Don’t Like|
|Keys are marked with stickers rather than being engraved|
Also Great – Perixx Periboard 612 Wireless Ergonomic Split Keyboard
- ERGONOMIC SPLIT-KEY DESIGN: Integrated palm rest supports your wrists, releases median nerve pressure and reduces forearm tension; Natural arm and hand position while typing minimize chances of RSI, and carpal tunnel syndrome
- WIRELESS 2. 4 GHZ AND BLUETOOTH CONNECTION: Switch between two connection options at the bottom of the keyboard; nano receiver is stored safely in the compartment at the bottom of the keyboard
- DUAL OPERATING SYSTEM: Compatible with Mac and Windows including shortcuts and function keys; 4 additional switchable keys for Mac of Windows key layout and a key puller is also provided in the box
- TACTILE RESPONSIVE KEYS: with long travel distance that gives a satisfying typing feeling and decreases mistyping
A newer evolution of the 512, the immediate standout feature of the Perixx Periboard 612 is the split keyboard and raised centre console.
Designed to prevent torquing your arms into an unnatural position and thus causing forearm tension, the split board design is rimmed with a full length fixed palm rest support your wrists.
Tactile keys help reduce the pressure required to register a keystroke whilst decreasing typing inaccuracies usual experienced by a membrane keypad.
Also available in a slightly less expensive wired version, the wireless connectivity of our model is provided by a choice of either a micro-USB receiver or Bluetooth.
Handily, the Periboard 612 is designed to integrate with both Windows and Mac, and has spare keys included to allow the changeover to a Mac keyboard if desired.
|Split keyboard with full length wrist rest|
|Wireless via Bluetooth or micro USB receiver|
|Long lasting German build quality|
|We Don’t Like|
|The arrow keys are located in a different position to traditional keyboard layouts|
|The package lacks the 2 x AA batteries needed to operate|