The 6 Best Chairs For Sleeping In The Office
Truth be told, there are a lot of productivity benefits to grabbing a “catnap” at the office – so much so that plenty of workplaces are encouraging their employees to grab a little bit of shuteye (15 or 20 minutes at a time) halfway through the day to give them a bit of a boost.
Employees that grab a quick nap report feeling more creative, more energetic, and able to overcome problems and obstacles with a lot less mental fatigue – all while pushing back against stress, pressure, and anxiety.
At the same time, sleeping in a traditional office chair is a bit of a nightmare.
Luckily though, if you choose any of the below office chairs for sleeping during breaks, you won’t have to worry about that anymore.
Let’s jump right in!
Our Pick – RESPAWN 110 Ergonomic Recliner Chair With Footrest (2021 Series)
- This gaming chair is bigger and better with more durable, thicker segmented padding with higher density endurance foam support
If overcoming afternoon fatigue by adopting a lunchtime siesta into your work day is your intention the RESPAWN 110 is one urban deckchair that makes getting some meaningful sleep a realistic expectation.
Starting with its figure embracing bucket seat, you’ll be able to rest up in the horizontal (the chair reclines back to 155 degrees) without struggling to find a comfortable position. This is the major shortcoming of chairs that aren’t designed for snoozing.
The pull out/flip over foot rest is covered in bonded leather like the rest of the chair and is noted for being robust enough to not have the fear of it cracking or distractingly wobbling when put under pressure.
! Take note that the combination of bonded leather over foam inserts isn’t breathable, which is great if you are looking for some added warmth when attempting to sleep but not ideal if you’re trying to relax in any already hot environment !
The pivoting padded arm rests are a nice touch with their innovative double hinge allowing usable arm rests to be formed no matter how far back your recline is set.
The weight capacity on this chair makes it one for almost all sizes (good for up to 275lbs), and as a reassuring touch is RESPAWN’s limited warranty which has you covered for up to a period of 5 years!
One curious point of interest that I came upon in the course of researching this brand is that it seems RESPAWN owners take genuine pride in how much punishment their chairs have managed to absorb over the years. I guess this tough love is a sign of some well made products!
Looks wise, sure, it’s overall design might be a bit garish for those looking for a chair that fits into a corporate environment but remove the branded pillow and the black and grey model will soon blend into any office when positioned behind a desk.
We can’t say the same is true for the camo or neon green models 😉
Budget Pick – Afo Office Chair with Footrest
- Ergonomic Design – The curve of the backrest is designed to fit the human spine line to provide better support for your back. A padded lumbar pillow is added to our chair to help relieving pressure on your lower back. Whether used for working, study or gaming, you will feel ultimate comfort in this ergonomic office chair.
- Retractable Footrest & Adjustable Headrest - This high back office chair is equipped with a retractable footrest. Gently pull it out and relax your legs on the padded footrest. The headrest of this ergonomic office chair can be adjusted vertically up and down, and the angle can also be adjusted to meet different needs, helping to relieve neck pain.
- Extraordinary Comfort – The backrest is covered with breathable mesh cloth that will promote air circulation and keep heat from trapped between you and the chair, thus keeping you cool even in hot days. The seat cushion, armrests and footrest are all filled with high resilience sponge, providing soft but supportive sitting feeling.
- Reclining Function – The back of this chair can be tilted back and you may lock the backrest at any angle between 90 and 135 degree, which make it a great choice to take a nap during breaks of busy work. Also you may relax your legs by rocking the backrest back and forth if you feel stiffness in your leg muscles due to prolonged sitting.
- Height Adjustable & Smooth Movement – The height of this chair seat can be adjusted to suit different heights of people. The silent and flexible castors makes it possible to move smoothly on all kinds of floor surfaces and convenient for you to turn around or get another workstation to talk to your colleague. The sturdy base keeps the whole chair stable enough and supports up to 275 pounds.
If you don’t want to spend a mountain of money, but still want something that looks great and allows you to fit a power nap into lunchtime – the Afo Office Chair w/footrest is where you’ll want to put your money.
The key feature which makes this chair such a good sleeper is a 135 degree recline combined with a generous 9″ wide footrest. This footrest is wide enough of a platform to support your legs without feeling like it digs into your calves, yet slimline enough to tuck neatly away beneath the chair when not in use.
Add to this a customizable headrest with both adjustable height and tilt functions, plus a mesh backing not too dissimilar to a hammock and this unit begins to become as suited to sleep as it is sitting.
To add a bit of character the Afo is also available in color schemes of teal and green should you wish to sidestep the traditional all black office furniture getup.
Of course limitations will exist on a reclining chair that costs a little over $100, however they’re not so bad on the Afo as to become showstoppers.
For example, the casters don’t have locks that can snap in place to prevent the chair from moving if you move around whilst asleep (you can fix that with some aftermarket rollerblade wheels). Secondly the footrest extension rods too are a little short and so only extend out from the chair by a small distance of approx. 9″ from the body of the chair itself. This means if you have extra long legs they’ll hang well over the foot rest and make obtaining restful sleep a bit of a challenge.
Also Great – Duramont Reclining Office Chair
- ★ UNIQUE WATERFALL SEAT EDGE - The high back design gives you maximum support for comfort and convenience. The chair has soft padding and a waterfall seat edge for less pressure on the back of your legs so that you can stay comfortable even when you have to sit down for hours. Forget about uncomfortable office chairs that make it impossible to concentrate on your work. The Duramont executive chair was designed to give you uttermost comfort
- ★ FLEXIBLE RECLINING ANGLE WITH RETRACTABLE FOOTREST - You can adjust the office chair any way you need to so that it can accommodate all your comfort needs. The chair has a locking system that will enable you to securely keep the right angle you need to (90 to 155 degrees.) Also, you can pull out the footrest as a recliner for napping and more
- ★ HIGH-END MATERIALS - We make sure that we use the right materials for maximum comfort and style. The chair is made with bonded leather that gives it a unique and elegant style and makes it the perfect addition to any office. The bonded leather also makes the computer chair incredibly durable and comfortable for the best possible experience
- ★ STRONG SOLID CONSTRUCTION - The office chair has a heavy-duty Metal base and nylon rolling casters that make it incredibly easy to move around but also keep you steady when you need to work. The chair can withstand up to 250 pounds for best results and is very easy to assemble and set up
- ★ RISK-FREE PURCHASE - Your satisfaction matters, and this are why we make sure that each chair is flawlessly made just for you. We are confident that you will love our executive chair. Still, if for any reason you are not completely satisfied, our products are backed by a 1-year warranty so if anything goes wrong, just let us know
Easily one of the most impressive office chairs designed with grabbing quick naps in mind, the Duramont is super comfortable with picture-perfect ergonomics while in the sitting or sleeping position.
With the ability to recline almost all the way back (155 degress), you’re going to be able to create the perfect sleeping platform with minimal effort.
As solid as they come, this office chair can support up to 250 pounds (even while fully reclined) with zero difficulty at all. Made out of high quality synthetic leather that is highly breathable, soft to the touch, and easy to clean this is a chair built to last.
The high-back design also provides plenty of lumbar support while sitting or sleeping, and a “waterfall” style seat eliminates pressure points that can build up on the back of your legs.
Nearly silent when moving around, you won’t have to worry about waking up any of your co-workers from there naps either!
SITMOD Gaming Chair with Footrest
No products found.
One of the most uniquely designed office chairs money can buy, the SITMOD is a gaming chair on steroids.
For starters, the ergonomics on this chair are top-tier. You have a high-back chair with over molded sides which encourages the perfect sitting position without feeling tight or constricted.
The adjustable lumbar support is appreciated, and you’ll be able to configure its positioning to hit the right spots while you are sitting, and again whilst you are laying back in a horizontal sleeping position.
At the top of the back rest is a very comfortable pillow that can be detached if you don’t want it there. Most people end up keeping it, though, because it makes the fully reclining system such a great sleeper.
The fold out foot rest, the swinging armrests, and the super silent casters all help to make this one a complete office chair that can pivot into a more than suitable power nap station.
What makes a chair good to sleep on?
While there are lots of things you want to zero in on when buying a new office chair designed for productivity and the occasional workplace nap, these are the features you want to focus on most:
Reclining Capabilities – Sleeping in the standard is next to impossible to pull off unless you are flat out exhausted, in which case you’re probably not getting your best work done to begin with. Look for chairs that recline as much as possible.
Height Adjustable – Height adjustability of your chair is going to make a world of difference when sleeping (and sitting) in this piece of office furniture. Look for something with (at minimum) a pneumatic height adjustment lever.
Customizable Backrest – A customizable backrest allows you to move things in and out on the back of your seat, adjusting the lumbar region but also giving you the ability to lay flat when you want to take a nap.
Good Lumbar Support – Speaking of the lumbar region, look for office chairs that have plenty of lumbar support so that you can enjoy better posture, better relief from pressure points, and a lot more comfort in your new chair.
Solid Ergonomics – The ergonomics of your chair should be really dialed in, with just the right amount of seat depth and seat width to feel like you are sitting in your chair rather than being squeezed or pinched by it.
Breathable But Soft – Lastly, it’s important to look for a chair that is very breathable to modulate temperature but still plenty soft enough to sleep on. Hitting that sweet spot is going to be a personal mission for everyone, but it’s something you want to knock out of the park for sure.
Hbada Ergonomic Office Recliner Chair
No products found.
Made with the modern office in mind, adjustability, sleep comfort, and overall temperature control are the real standout features with this office chair designed for napping.
In the adjustability department, you’re going to have the opportunity to control and configure pretty much every aspect of the way this chair is set up. You’ll be able to move the armrests, the backrest, the independent had breast, the extendable foot rest, and most every other piece of this chair until you get it exactly where you want it.
The breathable mesh upholstery material guarantees you won’t overheat in this chair, either.
Anyone that’s ever worked in a warm office knows exactly how hard it can be to get comfortable just working in heavy, thick chairs – let alone trying to sleep in one, too.
With this Hbada chair, though, that’s never going to be a problem.
The fact that you can recline the back of this chair all the way to 150° is a game changer. You’ll be able to create the perfect sleeping platform for getting a quick nap in whenever you like, bouncing back to your standard position when you need to get back to work.
Assembly on this chair is relatively straightforward. You’ll need tools you likely already have on hand (the process from start to finish takes about 30 minutes alone), but everything is really intuitive.
At the end of the day, this is a strong, stable, and relatively affordable option that works well whether you’re sitting or sleeping in the office.
Vinsetto Reclining Home Office Chair
No products found.
Just one look at this office chair tells you everything you need to know about how comfortable it’s going to be when you want to grab a nap!
The design is super ergonomic, with lumbar support, a waterfall style front seat edge, adjustable armrests (that are fully padded) and an extendable foot rest that can be completely customized, too.
But the material that this office chair for sleeping on is what really sets it apart from the rest of the pack.
The outer material itself is incredibly soft and almost flocked, kind of like a great pair of sheets or a perfectly worn in T-shirt. It feels great against your skin, feels great when you lay down to sleep on it, and (somehow) still helps with temperature control as well.
The inner material is designed to complement the ergonomics of this chair. Made from high density sponge material (not that dissimilar from memory foam, the kind you probably have in your mattress at home) you’ll feel like you are sitting – and sleeping – on a cloud as soon as you pop down on this piece of furniture.
Almost every component of this chair can be adjusted and customized by pulling on a pneumatic lever. You’ll be able to adjust the seat height from between 19.25 inches to 22.5 inches and tilt the seatback from between 90° (upright and perfect for working) to 150° (almost completely flat so that you can get great naps in at the office).
The frame of this chair is very well-made and capable of supporting up to 330 pounds. That’s almost 80 more pounds of weight capacity than some of the other top options on this list. The casters are strong, the seat rotates 360°, and the movement mechanism is almost completely silent in operation.
Combine all of that with a fantastic warranty and a near legendary reputation for durability from this manufacturer and this chair quickly becomes a bit of a no-brainer.
Those looking for a new office chair that can boost their productivity and still get in a quality nap will want to consider this for sure.